Grand Theatre Center for the Arts
This historic building dates back to 1923, when Vaudeville was at the height of its popularity. Shortly after, the theater was converted to welcome the new technology of the era: talkies (films featuring a sound reel). Over the years, the building evolved further to include multiple studios for dance, visual arts, and music. Salter contributed to a major renovation of the space that included acoustic finishes and improved sound design in both the 560- seat proscenium and new 100-seat black box theaters. Since its re-opening in 2007, the Grand hosts 50,000 patrons a year for live, multimedia, and cinematic performances and is regarded as an important public resource for education around arts and culture.
- ELS Architecture and Urban Design, Berkeley, CA
- Preservation Design Award, California Preservation Foundation, 2008
- California Heritage Council Award, California Heritage Council, 2008